The May Moore Trust was formed in 1980 for the benefit of older people in Malmesbury. May Moore, whose father owned and managed The Old Bell, was well known in the town, and a member of the Abbey congregation. She died in 1978 leaving a legacy to establish the May Moore Trust.
What is the Purpose of the Trust?
To support older people and it does this by providing some financial support to a part-time Chaplain whose focus is to respond to the spiritual and emotional needs of older people in the community.
Our current Chaplain is the Rev Mandy Churcher. If you would like to contact Mandy to discuss how you or someone you love could be supported please contact her via the Abbey Office (click here).
What does the Chaplain Do?
● Visit older people in their homes, or residential/nursing homes
● Facilitate and build teams of volunteers to visit and listen to the stories of this group
● Lead services in the local residential homes
● Oversee the weekly Time for Chat coffee morning
● Head the team holding the annual two day Holiday at Home (see photo at the top of this page) and Songs of Praise
● Liaise, signpost and network with various agencies depending on an individual’s needs
● Facilitate appropriate events to raise awareness and support. e.g. Open Doors for Dementia
What is the future?
The Trust is working towards a Dementia friendly church and has at its heart the need to foster hope among the elderly. In order to continue this valued ministry, the Trust does require donations and legacies. If you feel you would like to support the on-going work of the May Moore Trust, either financially, or by prayer, please contact the Abbey Office (click here).